A small little PICO-8 game that I made for the A Game By Its Cover 2022 jam!
This game is inspired by and named after the fictional cartridge art by Sean Williams over at the My Famicase Exhibition. Sean's design is also the cover image for this game! You should go check out his work.
At the moment, the game is basically a faster-paced Asteroids with gravitational mechanics. My high score is 1308!
The left and right arrow keys control the ship's direction while the up and down arrow keys accelerate forwards and backwards respectively. The Z key corresponds to the O key on PICO-8, which alternately shoots and then detonates your projectile. The X key corresponds to the X key, which applies more friction to your ship and slows you down.
For Player 2, the PICO-8 defaults to ESDF as the directional keys, Tab as O, and Q as X.
- Use your friction! If you are losing control, try to apply the brakes to slow yourself down and bring your orbit in closer.
- Fly through explosions! Though your bullet explosion will kill you most of the time, you will make it through just fine if you time your detonation right and fly through the early frames of the explosion! This includes when breaking apart meteors- they won't harm you immediately after splitting.
- Maintain your orbit. The worm hole might be scary, but if you spend all your time out in space then you might get hit by a meteor that you didn't see coming!
- Try to survive above all else. You will get points for enduring, and the meteors do fall into the worm hole on their own- though the number of meteors on screen will increase over time.
This game is still in active development! Here is a list of the planned features and changes.
Code refactor. Gamefeel tweaks including maximum speed on players, bullets, and meteors. A better start to the run than just throwing the player in with no time to react. Point the ship in a helpful direction at the start of a run, not just always up. Smooth ship rotation. Main menu. Local highscore. Indicators for off-screen meteors and players.
- Basic enemies.
Two-player mode. Combos. Optimization.
- Another code refactor.
- Easter eggs.
- Music/SFX remaster.
- Final polish/tweaks.
- This game is more or less complete! I'm satisfied with how it currently stands, and all that remains are (admittedly major) features that I consider icing on the cake.
- The Lexaloffle BBS post for this little project is here!
|Platforms||Windows, macOS, Linux, HTML5|
|Tags||Arcade, Asteroids, chiptune, Gravity, PICO-8, Pixel Art, Singleplayer, Space|
|Code license||MIT License|
|Average session||A few minutes|
|Inputs||Keyboard, Gamepad (any)|
Windows: Extract the .zip file to a folder, and run the .exe file inside.
MacOS: Move the .app file to your Applications folder, and run it from there.
Linux: Extract the .zip file to a directory and run the binary inside.
- 24/4/2023 Multiplayer!34 days ago
- 23/4/2023 Main Menu35 days ago
- 17/2/2023 Yes, More Difficulty TweaksFeb 17, 2023
- 16/2/2023 Refactor and TweaksFeb 16, 2023
- 14/2/2023 Diffifulty RecurveFeb 15, 2023
- 13/2/2023 Difficulty Escalation, TweaksFeb 13, 2023
- 12/2/2023 Optimizations!!!Feb 13, 2023
- 11/2/2023 Quick TweakFeb 11, 2023
Leave a comment
Log in with itch.io to leave a comment.